[sdiy] New device, weird midi behavior

Joel B onephatcat at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 31 02:03:17 CET 2017

I have this new device, a kickstarter product, it is USB Powered, and it only works well with a few of my synthesizers. For others it seems to send nothing at all, others it makes them stop making any sound at all while plugged in, as if it is sending a stream of all notes off.  In my emagic midi interface it either sends nothing, or, on another Unitor 8 in the Unitor daisy chain it sends bank select 0 every so often. Plugged into an old Opcode midi interface it seems to send proper note on off though. Seems to work ok on Roland JX8p and Yamaha tx816... not on DX7 though. Korg Minilogue but not sequential max.  Seems to send proper midi data to my iconnectMidi1 for iOS.

Same keyboards and interfaces all respond properly to other midi sources. So I’m thinking something electrical is wrong here?

What would you investigate to try to understand what is going on?

Any hypotheses?