[sdiy] Question about Envelopes

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Sun Dec 10 21:04:24 CET 2017

I wouldn't say that the synthesizer "envelope" comes from the mathematics
term,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope_(mathematics)
but rather from the physics/engineering term:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope_(waves)

PS: Scroll down to "Phase and group velocity" and see a nice informative
animation of something completely different! :-)

/mr

On 10 December 2017 at 19:13, Matthias Herrmann <matthias.herrmann at fonik.de>
wrote:

> Both "Einhüllende" und "Hüllkurve" are German words coming from and used
in mathematics. And indeed they are used for synthesizer functions just as
"envelope", which is coming from mathematics as well.

> So while we know where it comes from, we still don't know why - which was
the OT question. At some point someone must have coined the term "envelope"
based on his personal experience and history. A little bit hard to find
out, i guess.

> Cheers,
>
> Matthias

Mattias Rickardsson

chromatest at azburners.org> wrote:

> > That wasn't good enough for her, and I don't have a better answer.
>
> Looking at other languages the german translation of the noun would be
“Einhüllende” which is similar to the verb “einhüllen”.
> Looking up that verb in the dictionary and cross-checking returns “to
enfold”, “to enwrap”, "to coat” and such, which I picture with what happens
when applying and ENV.

> "Hüllkurve" is another German variant that can be found in synthesizer
nomenclature. The related Swedish word for "Hülle" is "hölje", which would
be quite a poetic wording - but in mathematics the term seems to be the
imported word "envelopp" instead.

> If the word "envelope" doesn't feel strict enough for general synth use,
why not choose Moog's preferred term "contour"? I find it both descriptive
and elegant.