[sdiy] non-mechanical switching solutions

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 00:19:51 CEST 2016

> Build four filters, one with each capacitance range, and pick whichever
> output you want to use.  If you use surface-mount parts the whole thing
> will still be smaller than the original.

Maybe you only need to build four of the actual transistor ladder part...
If you can find a way to turn off the common-mode current that flows down
the ladder (and sets the filter's cutoff frequency) then the transistors in
this ladder are essentially open-circuit anyway.  So maybe there is some way
to capitalise on this feature of the transistor/diode ladder filter, by
paralleling up multiple filter "cores", but only activating one of these
ladders at a time, whilst keeping the other ladders "switched off" by
programming their operating currents to zero?  Just a thought.

-Richie,

I've had similar construction dilemmas and sadly/intriguingly this might be
the best solution so far:

Den 27 juni 2016 4:49 em skrev "Gordonjcp" <gordonjcp at gjcp.net>:

> Your nine pole rotary switch is by far the most expensive component.
> Opamps are cheap, discrete trannies are cheap, passives are hell of a
> cheap.
>
> Build four filters, one with each capacitance range, and pick whichever
> output you want to use.  If you use surface-mount parts the whole thing
> will still be smaller than the original.

:-)

/mr

No virus found in this message.