[sdiy] PWM audio distortion explanation

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Tue Jun 28 18:13:36 CEST 2016

That's very interesting and right up my street, but unfortunately I don't get past the first sentence:

"At its most basic level, PWM is amplitude modulation (AM) of a carrier frequency (the PWM frequency)."

Why? PWM doesn't change the amplitude at all, as far as I can see. The *average* amplitude, maybe, but that's not the same thing, and it seems like a bit of a jump from this initial claim to then go "…so then this maths applies!". Does it? Why?

Amplitude modulation of pulse trains has some other name I'm sure (oh, look! It does: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-amplitude_modulation )

The width of the pulses is what's being modulated here, not the amplitude. If they're going to convince me that those two are equivalent, I want a bit of explanation of how that works.

Tom