[sdiy] Korg PS3100

Oakley Sound oakleylist at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 20 10:50:28 CEST 2016

 > that damned card cage, getting in the way of everything.

It's well worth making a board 'riser' or some sort of adapter that
allows you to fully connect a removed board to the card frame.

I made two clones of the Korg PCB edge connectors with a inch wide bit
of copper clad board - using a knife and a hot soldering iron to peal
away gaps to make the approximate 0.2" fingers. These were then wired to
a couple of suitable edge connectors to fit into the displaced Korg
board. It probably took an hour or two to make but saved a lot of time.

The two biggest problems with the PS3X00 units are that the edge
connectors fail (they may look good but they often have hairline cracks
along the length of them) and the decoupling electrolytics leak and eat
their way through the board.

I never found an exact replacement of the Korg's edge connector - they
are some sort of metric sized 0.2" connector. But you can fit a standard
0.2" one and then, either, be very careful when re-fitting the board to
the rack or make some spacers to keep the smaller board from being
misplaced in the slightly larger 0.2" connector.

Tony

www.oakleysound.com