[sdiy] Board View Software - could we make a database of this for vintage synths?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Thu Jun 16 07:55:55 CEST 2016

That looks only mildly promising. How do we get all of those vintage synth schematics into digital circuit net format?

We have vintage synth schematics in paper form, and in PDF form, but none of them are in CAD format. If you scan the text as an image, there are plenty of OCR programs that can convert the raw image into searchable text. But I'm not aware of any software that can take an image of a schematic and convert it into an actual net list with named nodes as shown in those YouTube videos.

In addition, the layout images in most vintage synth service manuals are rather low quality. It's hard to imagine them being automatically converted into something like you see in those videos.

Someone would need to spend significant amounts of time for each individual board just to get to the stage where you could zoom and flip and type in signal names with autocompletion.

There're also errors in those service manuals to consider. I recently attempted to analyze the Prophet 5 Rev 2 schematic, and found that a certain signal name was cut off the edge of the page on every PDF I could find. I had to eventually buy a copy of the printed manual to even see the name of that signal. It would be hopeless for automated software to make sense of those particular PDFs.

That said, I'd love to see what you're dreaming about, but I'm afraid it's just that: a dream.

Brian