[sdiy] 2n3904 transistor matching stats

Dave Brown davebr at modularsynthesis.com
Wed Jun 8 07:43:03 CEST 2016

I just built a design for a customer that needed 6 matched pair of 2N3906s.  I bought them on cut tape and verified matching with my 577 curve tracer.  I was literally unable to tell any difference between adjacent pairs.  Then I tested the 1st on the cut tape against the 12th and I could detect a very minor difference.  I was impressed.

Then I tested a random batch of loose transistors of another type.  There were more significant differences but it seemed like a Gaussian distribution with many close in characteristics and a few outliers.  It was much tighter than I expected, but for all I know they came out of the same batch as they were not a high volume runner.

Dave