[sdiy] Usage Permission - What should I do?

Jacob Watters jacobwatters at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 01:11:06 CET 2016

I am working on a filter that is based on the LM13700. I read Thomas
Henry's book about the 3080 to get some ideas for the expo conversion.
However, I really liked the solution that Thomas Henry used in the VCF-1. I
ended up using that exact design. Here is the schematic:

http://www.birthofasynth.com/Thomas_Henry/pdf/VCF-1/Sheet_0001.pdf

The issue is, I might make some PCB's and kits and sell them. I tried
contacting both Thomas and Scott Stites (he manages the website that hosts
the schematic), but I have not received a response (Thomas' email bounced
back as undelivered).

What should I do now? Is the expo converter generic enough that I can use
it without permission? Should I redesign that part of the circuit? There
are only so many ways to do it, so I would likely end up with something
close anyway.

I really appreciate all of the knowledge that Thomas Henry has shared with
the DIY community, so I would like to respect that and not use stuff I
shouldn't without permission.

What would you do in this situation?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,