[sdiy] 1v /oct with ADC question

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Fri Dec 2 07:59:12 CET 2016

Technically, the combination of a CPU, a comparator and a DAC *is* an ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter). It just happens to be made from discrete parts rather than a single ADC chip. Your claim that the Source has no ADC is like claiming that the early Moog modules did not have a VCO because the oscillators were made from discrete transistors instead of an SSM or CEM chip VCO.

I would also argue that it is incorrect to claim that the Prophet 5 Rev 2 does not have a "DAC" because it uses a discrete R-2R ladder. Rev 3 replaced this with an actual 14-bit DAC chip, but the Rev 2 still has a DAC, albeit discrete.

But, yes, Moog did save some money by reusing the DAC as part of the ADC, rather than having a second DAC with sequencing and register storage inside an integrated successive approximation ADC chip.

Brian

>>> Tom