[sdiy] Digital delay memory

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 18:22:56 CEST 2016

Tom and Eric, have you looked at the 23LC1024 SPI SRAM chip to supplement
on-board delay memory?  (1MBit external static-RAM in 8-pin SOIC/TSSOP
package for a couple of bucks.  A couple of seconds delay at 32kHz/16bit.)

I found that the hit for the SPI exchange wasn't too bad if you're doing
your audio processing in blocks.  You can arrange DMA to "page in" or "page
out" a block of external memory into the DMA RAM space in the background
whilst doing other processing, so that it is there just ahead of when you
want to use it.

It's good for things like digital delay memory.  Less so for reverb where
you need lots of read/writes and the memory bandwidth over SPI becomes
limiting.

Also had good success with old computer DRAM simms for *loooooooong* audio
delay.  (Made a profanity delay for broadcast applications.)  All the
RAS/CAS/refresh stuff isn't really that hard to implement for the old
page-mode or EDO chips, and you could pick them up cheap on ebay.  It
requires more I/O lines than SPI, but not as much as parallel SRAM.  Haven't
tried interfacing to modern Synchronous DRAM though.  It looks a lot more
complicated!?

-Richie,