[sdiy] switching without popping

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Mon Apr 18 00:54:17 CEST 2016

Some home stereo components had depletion mode PMOS FET or JFET parts to mute the outputs at power-on and power-off. Because these FETs conduct with 0V gate signals, they connected the signal to ground to mute it, probably with some resistance added. You could use a pair of depletion mode PMOS parts with opposite gate signals to mute one or the other input to a simple active mixer. With the appropriate RC filter on the gates, this would be a smooth crossfade.

I think the key is that you don't need the precision of a VCA. All you really need is a mute with a soft engage / disengage. If the fade isn't perfectly accurate, that's no great loss.

Brian