[sdiy] MIDI velocity

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed Apr 6 17:23:30 CEST 2016

I've always used Scott Dattalo's vertical counter method. The counter has to count four switch reads identical before it regards the switch as changed. How fast that is depends on hw fast you scan the switches, obviously. I've used it on keyboard keys, rotary encoder contacts, pushbuttons, footswitches, you name it.

Unfortunately, Scott's excellent webpage is no more. However, through the magic of technology…

http://web.archive.org/web/20120308155837/http://www.dattalo.com/technical/software/pic/debounce.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20120226170604/http://www.dattalo.com/technical/software/pic/vertcnt.html

This method is so clever I just *had* to use it! It's even better on a dsPIC, where you can simultaneously debounce 16 inputs on a single port with only a handful of instructions. I usually finish up with two registers "SWITCH_CHANGES" and "SWITCH_STATES", which makes testing for various input conditions very easy.

Tom