[sdiy] MIDI velocity

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Wed Apr 6 13:56:07 CEST 2016

There are 2 kinds of switches, hence 2 debouncing methods used.

For musical keyboard you need the fastest response, so note-on is sent
on the first touch of the contact, regardless if it's just initial
bounce or solid contact. Debouncing is done on note's tail, so note-off
is sent some time after last time closed contact was detected. That
assumes minimal note duration, so it completely covers initial bounces,
and adds a bit of the tail. Usually that is 10-20ms, which is not
possible to notice on any typically releasing sounds. And you can adjust
that time from no debouncing at all, to about 40ms.

For function keys, like transpoze, channel change, program change and so
on, there's no need for immediate response, so instead, debouncing is
done here on contact closing, not release. also to prevent the function
from appearing if you accidently wipe your hand over the button.
Depending on function I usually add 20 to over 200ms window checking if
contact is closed at each iteration before actual function is invoked.

Roman