[sdiy] unleaded solder

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 20:14:41 CEST 2016

Exactly what Eric said, +1.

Avoid lead free solder for DIY projects and R&D work if you can.  You only
need to worry about going lead-free to meet RoHS / WEEE requirements if
selling the finished product into the EU, and if you are productionising
something for volume manufacture then let the assembly house worry about
optimising the lead-free assembly.  Temperature profiles, ramping and dwell
times, etc, are the world that they live in for PCB assembly, so just let
them take care of that side of things and you will get good results.

It's definitely harder to get good results consistently with lead-free
solder by hand, whereas I find good old fashioned leaded solder very
forgiving of "less than perfect, soldering in a hurry" technique.

-Richie,