[sdiy] Audio codec question

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Sat May 16 22:07:17 CEST 2015

As Paul said there are cheap microcontrollers with an I2S interface.
There's also Microchip's range of DSPIC chips which are a kind of low-end
DSP/microcontroller hybrid.  All of which are in the single dollar price
bracket at volume.  Some of the DSPIC chips also offer a 16-bit stereo audio
DAC built-in, which has fairly decent performance if you pay careful
attention to PCB layout.  This takes away the need to set up the I2S
interface and route tracks to an external CODEC chip if all you require is
16-bit stereo audio out.  If you need audio in as well, or need to go up to
24-bit then an external codec over I2S is the way to go though.

I'd recommend you take a look at Eric Brombaugh's dsPIC boards for examples
of the CODEC interface, and built-in audio DAC on the dsPIC platform,

What are you trying to do?

At the end of the day I2S isn't really anything special.  It's just a serial
interface like SPI, that runs with a continuous bit-clock and has an
additional word-clock designating left and right channels.  You might be
able to mimic it with an SPI port operating under DMA control and a few GPIO
lines.  Just watch out for slight variations in communications standards
like left-justified, right-justified, and an option that clocks the first
bit of audio out one bit-clock late whose name escapes me at the moment.

-Richie,