[sdiy] 4046 VCO overclocking a PIC

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Sun Aug 23 20:12:33 CEST 2015

What you are doing sounds reasonable enough for hobby tinkering. However, I wouldn't over-clock a PIC in a product that I intended to sell, unless I was prepared to screen candidate parts myself for correct operation across the anticipated temperature and voltage ranges at the overclocked speed.

I've heard stories of 20MHz pics being clocked at hundreds of MHz with the supply voltage increased out of spec and special measures taken to cool the part. But it is anyone's guess what that will do to lifetime and reliability of code execution, flash storage endurance, etc.  Once you go beyond the chip's maximum ratings, you're really on your own, and the rest of the datasheet spec is void.

One thing to watch out for is the behaviour of the PLL on devices that multiply up the clock frequency. Obviously division down of the clock input with sequential logic will be fine with rapid frequency variations. But a phase locked loop is a closed loop system with a finite response time and limits to its locking range. So don't change the input frequency too far, or too quickly, otherwise expect the PLL to drop out of lock momentarily.

I haven't personally clocked a micro from an RF VCO but I have clocked them from DDS chips before, not musical application though. Same idea, just with digital control instead of voltage control.

-Richie,

Sent from my Xperia SP on O2

---- Tom Wiltshire wrote ----