[sdiy] MIDI running status implementation - status bytes

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri Jan 31 13:25:04 CET 2014

Hi All,

Just a quick question about MIDI running status implementation. I read:

"The MIDI spec allows for a MIDI message to be sent without its Status byte (ie, just its data bytes are sent) as long as the previous, transmitted message had the same Status."

From this, you'd assume that each new incoming Status byte would be stored, and would become the new status byte to be used if a message arrives without one. But in the case of channel status bytes, it's quite possible that the new status byte is on another channel and not meant for us.

In this situation,  should I update the current status byte or not?

Thanks,
Tom