[sdiy] Effect of unconnected linearisation diodes in LM13600/13700

Dave Kendall davekendall at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 26 18:52:36 CET 2014

Achim, Ian - thanks for the replies.

On 20 Jan 2014, at 19:00, ASSI wrote:
> But the 3080 and the 13600 are based on totally different technologies

Apart from the different sized packages, do you have a link to more
info on this?

I notice that the datasheet schematic for the 13600 looks almost the
same as the 3080, but with the addition of an NPN transistor with
collector connected to the amp bias input, emitter to -V, and base
connected to the base of a second additional NPN which goes to the
darlington buffer. Could that possibly affect the behaviour of the
13600 VS. the 3080? (assuming the buffers are not used)

What I'd really like to find out, is if there is any truth in claims
that the 3080 "sounds different" to the 13600. One way to do this would
be to build a test circuit that would take either chip, after matching
the two chips' performances as nearly as possible, although I doubt I
have the right gear (or expertise) to match them in a meaningful way at
the moment.

The differences may not be so important now that Rochester electronics
are producing the 3080 again. According to one source, they have the
masks as well as stocks of wafers and dies, so things look hopeful for
the 3080s (relative) availability. I'm still interested in working out
if there is a significant difference though. Many claims of different
"sounds" flying around the internet seem to be the result of not
comparing like with like, but maybe that's just my perception of it.

Hope this isn't a dumb question, and thanks for the replies so far.

cheers,
Dave