[sdiy] How does the JX3P VCA work?

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 14:38:48 CET 2014

Hi Gordon,

The VCA in the JX-3P only uses a single pass transistor between the
attenuated source and the op-amp.  I've never seen the other arrangement
with two matched transistors before.

I can't give you a detailed explanation of how the JX-3P VCA works other
than to just say that it uses the transistor in the small-signal region
where it behaves approximately like a voltage controlled resistance.

What I can tell you is that it distorts pretty badly because the
transistor does not respond equally to the audio signal in the positive
and negative directions.  It becomes progressively more non-linear for
larger audio signals.  So you get significant amounts of odd and even
harmonics at the output.  It is also very noisey due to the effect of
the low-ohm resistor forcing up the noise-gain of the operation
amplifier.  And finally it exhibits DC control feedthrough, because the
base current from the CV input eventually goes into the op-amps
virtual-earth.  I'd say that the VCAs in the JX-3P are probably just
about as bad as they could be!

The one used in the feedback path of the VCF to control resonance is
less critical because as long as something vaguely resembling the output
is fed back to the input it will increase the filter's Q factor and
achieve it's aim of controlling resonance.  Most of the horrible
distortion products get attenuated when they pass through the 4-pole
low-pass filter.  But this cheap VCA is definitely responsible for the
JX-3P's strange "resonance burst around the zero crossing" behaviour in
the filter output waveforms.

The VCAs used for each voice's amplitude control are quite nasty though.
  I tried replacing both VCA's in one voice of my JX-3P with a dual VCA
made from LM13700 and it improved the sound immensely.  It made the
JX-3P sound much brighter and lively, very similar to the sound of a
Juno 106.  It also seemed to reduce noise too, but analogue JX-3P fans
will probably say it's meant to sound like that! ;-)

I made a PCB for mod'ing all 6 voices but never got round to completing
it.

-Richie,