[sdiy] PIC basic setup?

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Wed Jan 8 17:12:37 CET 2014

> Any good ideas/tutorials for getting a PIC working with just a basic
> setup
> (pic, xtal, maybe 5v regulator), making it blink an LED, respond to a
> pot,
> etc?

Also when you get to programming the LED to flash on and off, make sure
you include delays that wait long enough for the on and off times, so
that the overall flashing speed is slow enough for you to actually see!

With a micro that can execute tens of millions of instructions per
second it's easy for beginners to end up with the LED flashing at many
kHz where it just looks like it is always on.

You can always check the I/O pin activity with an oscilloscope to see if
it is toggling, but it's best to aim for a flash rate of around 1Hz from
the outset.  If you end up getting something slightly faster or slower
you can always measure it with a stopwatch and then try to work out
where you went wrong!

Good luck,

-Richie,