[sdiy] "re-cap" when it's SMT?

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 05:43:38 CEST 2013

What's the best way to judge the footprint?

The ones I'm seeing on Mouser all appear to have the legs "tucked
under" but the pads for these appear to be to either side (or at least
the negative side does, can't see the positive side very well with
several cables in the way.  It's a 4mm square base, and roughly 5mm
high off the board.

I have a few SOIC items and I've even soldered ceramic caps (wogglebug
bypass caps), but I'm really green on this stuff.  How would you
solder legs tucked under anyway, reflow only?

While I'm asking noob questions, several of the cable connectors are
the wire trap type.  I have screwed these up on other gear in the
past.  I did some looking around tonight to see if I could find a
tutorial, but mostly what I find are either sites selling wire trap
connectors or at best have mechanical drawings which really don't
clarify how to unlock them without destroying them.  Anyone have
advice or pointers to tutorials?

Thanks...

Pete