[sdiy] "re-cap" when it's SMT?

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 02:23:06 CEST 2013

I have a cheaply purchased Roland XP-50... cheap because it has a few issues.

Chief among them is hiss--when the VCA is open there's a very
significant hiss, regardless of the voice selected.

When I bought it, I wasn't thinking in terms of SMT boards; if this
were through hole stuff I would re-cap and see if that resolved the
issue and go from there.  In this case though....

Are SMT capacitors likely to have the same kinds of problems over time
as their through-hold counterparts?  If not, I'm actually at something
of a loss to hypothesize where the hiss is coming from.  If so, I have
some challenges coming up with SMT caps (though I do have a few,
thanks Paul S :-) ).

Thanks...

Pete