[sdiy] Lowest distortion neede for VCA - linearizing the LM13600/13700 & other dual VCAs

Phil Macphail phil.macphail at liivatera.com
Tue Sep 17 15:17:45 CEST 2013

TI lists the LM13700 at $0.40 for 1000-off pricing, and Cool Audio have
the V2164 at $1.60 for the same quantity. So if you know what you are
doing you can make a cheaper (but larger) VCA with the LM13700, although
there isn't much in it. There is also a further refinement to the Simms
design that really isn't for the faint-hearted that can improve the
distortion further - implementation is tricky so at that point the V2164
is probably a better choice.

Phil.