[sdiy] Lowest distortion neede for VCA - linearizing the LM13600/13700 & other dual VCAs

Robin Whittle rw at firstpr.com.au
Tue Sep 17 07:04:37 CEST 2013

Hi Ian,

The purpose of this circuit:

  http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/sims/

is to linearize the audio signal AKA to reduce audio distortion at high
signal levels.  The control current for these particular VCAs - LM13600s
~= LM13700 - is linear, in that doubling the current to the control
input doubles the current of the output signal.

A VCA with an exponentially responding control voltage or current
control input would have a response such as increasing the control input
by X volts or mA doubles the current of the audio output signal (and
therefore its voltage in the current to voltage converter which follows)
and adding another amount X would further double the output.

Building a circuit to make a log/exponential (however it is referred to)
control voltage or current responding VCA into a linear responding one
would involve producing the log of the control signal to feed into the
original VCA's control input, which exponentiates it to produce its
internal current.

  - Robin