[sdiy] OT: Mathcad users?

Olivier Gillet ol.gillet at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 09:48:08 CEST 2013

The Mat in Matlab is that of "Matrix", and not "Mathematics". It is
primarily a numerical computation tool - to evaluate programs and
expression on arrays of data - which makes it a tool of choice for
signal and image processing. Its symbolic processing options (solving,
manipulating algebraic expressions) are optional and not really what
people are using the program for.

Octave and Scilab are both open-source clones of Matlab. Both of them
are incompatible with matlab code, which make them kind of pointless
for serious work where one has to reuse reference implementations
available as matlab toolboxes. They are OK for teaching though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned scipy - which is my tool of choice
for numerical duties and plotting, from an iPython shell. For those
who prefer IDEs and "Notebook" like interfaces, there's this ongoing
project -> www.sagemath.org