[sdiy] decoupling caps again

Ian Fritz ijfritz at comcast.net
Mon Sep 2 23:54:30 CEST 2013

I agree with the first comment below the article.  I'm sure that most
diy-ers have at least one decoupling cap where power enters the
board.  That already makes our typical boards different from the author's
experiment, where he was comparing to the case where there was no
decoupling at all.

Just because the author saw some oscillations in one particular
circuit/layout doesn't mean you have to put decoupling caps on every
chip.  The earlier studies, in fact, showed that a few caps here and there
on an analog board are plenty.  This has always worked well for me.  In
fact, I've never found a problem of any kind that could be fixed by adding
more bypass caps.

Ian