[sdiy] decoupling caps again

rsdio at sounds.wa.com rsdio at sounds.wa.com
Mon Sep 2 22:28:06 CEST 2013

When it comes to capacitor selection, there are at least a couple of
important distinctions.

1) Many people obsess about the type and quality of a capacitor that
is in the audio path, sometimes spending way more money on some
esoteric capacitor just for its sound. In this context, decoupling
caps are not important in the sense that the audio that you hear does
not pass through a decoupling cap.

2) The article you listed is showing why decoupling capacitors are
necessary. I don't think anybody is saying that they are not
necessary. But it's a totally different statement to say that you
don't need to care about the audio qualities of a decoupling cap.
Also, the type and quality of a decoupling cap is important in
different ways, because it is performing a different function than an
audio cap. As you can see in the article, the physical arrangement of
the PCB, the size of the traces, and the order the signals pass
through the decoupling caps all have importance. But basically none
of that is the same as what someone might spend a lot of money on for
an audio cap. To put it another way, decoupling is absolutely
necessary, but paying for high-grade audio caps is not at all
important for decoupling.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting