[sdiy] More SMT

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Thu Mar 21 17:52:09 CET 2013

Phillip Gallo <philgallo at gmail.com> wrote:
>Scott,
>
>I use these boards quite a bit.
>I get 'em retail at Fry's Elec.
>
>I scrape paste flush across the solder pads,  make sure i mount the
>part right-side up (in sync with nomenclature), solder corners and
>then 'drag solder' across all the pins.  I then come back and slowly
>scrape solderwick across the pins.
>
>I then 'ring it out' from the pin to the board edge connection.
>
> http://www.sdiy.org/philgallo/photo.jpg

Yesterday, I noticed a youtube video link on the page URL I posted:

http://www.schmartboard.com/index.asp?page=products_qfp&id=70

The video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6WrzdgwyIw&feature=related

This is a "how-to" video on soldering.  What I found fascinating is that the
person did the solder job using liquid flux and no additional solder.  There was
no need (apparently) for cleaning up with solder wick.  Definately worth the 5 or
so minutes to watch and I will definately try this method.  I do note that the
tip on the iron was very fine and very clean.  looked brand new.

-- ScottG
-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- FPGA MIDI Synth Info: jovianpyx.dyndns.org:8080/public/FPGA_synth/
-- FatMan Mods Etc.: jovianpyx.dyndns.org:8080/public/fatman/
-- Some Random Electronics Bits: jovianpyx.dyndns.org:8080/public/electronics/