[sdiy] is raspberry pi the future?

Neil Johnson neil.johnson97 at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 15 15:57:23 CET 2013

Hi Dan,

> One thing
> I have learned since yesterday....the rasp pi is not truly open source..i guess some elements are closed.
>
> This is a deal breaker.
>
> I need a platform which if i end up making something cool, i can transfer it 100% (software and hardware) to a pcb.

Your bigger problems will be buying the BCM2835 and the required PCB technology:
- Broadcom does not sell the BCM2835 through distributors, so you'll
have to buy them in LARGE quantities direct;
- 6- to 8-layer board and BGA footprints - you'll need a good PCB
assembly house to build it for you.

The closed-source bits are for the VideoCore, not the ARM - make your
board sufficiently the same as RasPi (with your extra stuff that makes
it your product) and it should run the standard software from the
Foundation.  But see the two points above before you got too excited.

Cheers,
Neil
--
Modules and more: http://www.cesyg.com