[sdiy] Best way to get a +3.3V rail from +15V?

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 16:54:45 CET 2013

If you want the most compact & efficient solution, then use a switching regulator. (It's technically a buck converter.) There's probably something suitable in National Semiconductor's Simple Switcher range. All you need is the switching IC, a Schottky diode and a couple of resistors and Low-ESR electrolytics.

If it's just for a quick lash-up you could always just go with a linear regulator though, bolt on an appropriately sized heatsink and benefit from some winter heating! ;-)

-Richie,

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia ray