[sdiy] OSCar transformer

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Mar 5 08:12:43 CET 2013

On Monday 04 March 2013, 18:22:22, Doug Terrebonne wrote:
> Hi, I need to replace the power transformer in an OSCar. The original has
> dual 9V secondary output s however the middle 2 taps are tied to ground
> so is there any reason I couldn't replace it with an 18V center-tapped?

Center-tapped should be OK.  Depending on the load characteristic of the old
one and the new one you might perhaps want to use a slightly lower output
voltage (like 2x15V).  I'd definitely drop the voltage if the regulators
were also replaced with low-dropout ones.  Also, the electrolytics after the
rectifier would enjoy a longer life if they were 25V rated (modern ones
should still be smaller than the 16V ones you have in there now).

Regards,
Achim.