[sdiy] VCA response - continously variable between linear and exponential

houshu at muj.biglobe.ne.jp houshu at muj.biglobe.ne.jp
Sat Mar 2 17:53:37 CET 2013

Hello Neil and List,

I've designed continuous curve VCA.
Precise exponential can not be obtained.
But, fractional power curves were available.

Final VCA design (Built for battery operation, and worked as in simulations.).
  http://houshu.at.webry.info/201112/article_2.html

Current source designs:
  http://houshu.at.webry.info/201111/article_1.html
  http://houshu.at.webry.info/201111/article_2.html
  http://houshu.at.webry.info/201201/article_1.html

This is basically a function generator combining log and exponential,
which may be analyzed by theory of translinear circuit.

Continuous curve control is possible, but the required
resistor range is too large to obtain linear-like response.
So I chose 3 curves.

Here is comparison of the 3 curves and linear and exponential:
http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/000/024/65/N000/000/000/132039778125213127511_Lin-Exp1_dc.PNG

If you can wait for 1 month, I'll design a current source circuit
for LM13700, though I myself would not test it on a breadboard.

Sam HOSHUYAMA
Saitama, JAPAN

----- "neil harper" <metadata at gmx.com>
hey all,
i'm looking for some advice/pointers on how to get a VCA response curve
to be continuously variable between linear and exponential. i can do
switchable between the two, but is there any trick to getting everything
inbetween?

if it helps, my VCA is lm13700 based but i don't mind starting with
something else.

--
//neil harper
every wave is new until it breaks