[sdiy] Roland JX-3p vca - noise

Travis Thatcher recompas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 18:03:46 CET 2013

I seemed to have fixed my issue.  I cleaned out the jacks w rubbing
alcohol and deoxit, then re-soldered them. I was still having the
cracking issue randomly and also it seemed as though the right channel
wasn't coming through properly. In the headphone output the right
channel was way lower and when cables were plugged into both channel
jacks only the left actually output signal.  I started from before the
muting transistors and traced the signal path to find that the
transistors were okay but the volume pot was actually to blame. It
seemed okay but the trace of signal pin of the voltage divider had
become disconnected from the circuit.  A quick jumper wire and all was
well and my jx had its beautiful noisy stereo panned chorus back.
Thanks for the help.  I'm not sure what it is about Roland gear of
this era, but I've seen numerous 606s and a few JX3ps where the traces
just seem to be lifting off the boards and the soldermask all crinkly.
 What are some good tips for preserving these devices for years to
come? I've seen Minimoog vco pcbs that are a good 10-12 years older
look way better than these things.

http://www.travisthatcher.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/travisthatcher
http://voiceofsaturn.blogspot.com