[sdiy] Is MIDI Active Sense necessary?

Byron G. Jacquot thescum at surfree.com
Mon Feb 11 19:15:14 CET 2013

>I need a bit of street level MIDI usage information.
>
>Does anyone use or need MIDI active sensing anymore?
>
>I'm wondering if there might be any unconventional uses for it that I'm
>not aware of.  I'm building a MIDI phrase sampler and I'm looking for a
>reason to filter out active sense bytes.

Active sense is there to prevent stuck notes if the connection goes away.  If you get a note on, and the cable gets unplugged, you'll never get the corresponding not off.  Active sense allows the receiver to recognize the situation, and stop the notes.

If your player is triggering one-shot samples, stuck note-ons is perhaps less of a concern.  The counter might be a situation where the connection might be mechanically unreliable, like a keytar.

If you want to be pedantic, it's probably best to implement it.

Byron Jacquot