[sdiy] Output impedance check...

ChristianH chris at chrismusic.de
Fri Feb 8 14:22:47 CET 2013

I'm not so sure about R10 being redundant - what if the 072 drives the
transistor into saturation? What would protect the LED from being zapped
with 12V?
Ok, 100k may be little high, but without the base current being
controllable, I wouldn't leave it out completely.

Chris

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:45:10 +0200 Phil Macphail
<phil.macphail at liivatera.com> wrote:

> Hi Justin,
> R10 is redundant in this circuit, unless you wan to limit the current through the LED to around 100uA, which seems a little low
 And the LED won't light at all until the signal exceeds Vbe plus Vforward of the LED, which is probably 2.5-3 volts total. For negative signal swings Q3 and the LED are reverse-biased which is probably OK for small signals, but you need to check the breakdown voltage for the transistor.