[sdiy] Akai AX80 weird PWM behaviour on Voice 8 when Saw wave enabled

james meagher w.james.meagher at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 18:16:20 CEST 2012

> Sounds like your battery needed changing, before your power supply blew. Well, you wanted a learning experience!
> Hopefully no big deal in the long run though, should be straightforward to fix.... (famous last words!)
>
> Adam

Yes, I wanted a learning experience. Last night's learning experience
was this - when your synth dies suddenly right when you're in the
middle of playing it, don't immediately storm off in a huff of
self-pity. Because when you return a few hours later with schematics
and meter in hand you may find out that you're not getting a reading
on anything in the power supply. Weird you think to yourself. Then
that lightbulb in your brain gets a dim glow as you reach over to
flick on your soldering iron . . . and sure enough the indicator light
doesn't come on. In the end you realize that you've been the victim of
a bad extension cord - nothing more than that. And now you feel like
an idiot.

I am including a new battery in my parts order, but as this original
battery still shows a solid charge of 3.2V, should I also be
suspicious that this weird memory behaviour could be caused by a bad
RAM chip or perhaps some of the other components (not much . . . a few
caps) that reside between the battery and the RAM?

Cheers,
James