[sdiy] Zener diode wattage tolerances

Harry Bissell harrybissell at wowway.com
Mon Jul 9 20:09:58 CEST 2012

At least its a uA723 regulator based design. Try looking at app notes for that chip. The schematic is probably
right off the data sheet.

BTW if the zener is a SHUNT regulator (no series pass transistor) the very act of leaving it unloaded might cause the zener
to burn off the board.

It would be a fight between the expected load and the series resistor, remove the load and the zener must eat ALL
the current.

That would be a sh!tty design imho but if they were sure what the load would be, it could be a cheap solution...

H^) harry