[sdiy] Synergy FM [was: Re: DX7 hacking?]

Richard Wentk richard at wentk.com
Mon Jul 2 14:03:57 CEST 2012

There are various options. I think discrete envelopes are *not* the way to go, because there are too many parameters.

The simple approach is to create timbre frames with arbitrary pitches/levels/time offsets and interpolate between them. This isn't particularly clever, but it's good enough for some nice sounds.

The more interesting option is to create a full series of FFT windows for a sample - probably with overlap - and pull partial tracks out of the data. Instead of an envelope each oscillator is fed a partial track with steadily changing frequency/amplitude.

The even more interesting option is to multisample sounds across a full range of pitches and levels and create a multidimensional partial track database with interpolation between the available samples.

For all options you can add FFT effects like chorus/detune, random level variations, frequency shrink/stretch, and so on.

The oscillator engine ends up being a relatively small part of the finished synthesizer.

I've done some timbre frame experiments with Csound and Max/MSP, but the rest of it always seems to be too much work for a part-time project.

Maybe I should pitch it up on KickStarter and see if anyone wants to pay me. :)

Richard