[sdiy] DX7 hacking?

colin f colin at colinfraser.com
Sun Jul 1 00:29:56 CEST 2012

> 30 June 2012 20:39 Ingo Debus wrote:
>
> I once ran my DX7 through an analog filter (CEM3320), with
> the filter ADSR triggered simultaneously with the DX7 notes.
> I felt that the sound of the DX7 was greatly enhanced.
> Of course this was only one filter for all DX7 voices, so
> polyphonic playing was limited. I always thought of a unit
> with several filters (with ADSRs) and a microprocessor that
> could be combined with one of the FM synths with separate
> outputs for the voices. The microprocessor would have to do
> the voice arbitration for the FM synth too.

I've been planning to achieve this with a couple of synths I have here for
ages, but haven't quite found the time yet...
I have a TX802 (essentially a rack DX7II), which has 8 individual outputs.
I also have an 8 voice poly analogue which I MIDI retrofitted tha makes an
ideal candidate for independently patching 8 pairs of TX voices into 8
filters.
My plan is to re-transmit MIDI notes on 8 channels matching the notes that
are allocated to each of the 8 voices by the MIDI retrofit.
The TX will then follow the same voice allocation using a multi.
Then all that's needed is 8 cables to the filters, patched from the TX.
I'm determined to get it done this summer...

Cheers,
Colin f