[sdiy] DSP or Micro

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh1 at cox.net
Fri May 6 19:29:55 CEST 2011

* C4 Beagleboard costs roughly the same as the Symphony Soundbite
development board when I got one a few years ago. Are those even
available today?

* Dev tools are Linux / GCC - 100% free. The OS images including a full
toolchain (C/C++/Assembler, as well as perl/python/etc) are available
online for download. The guys at Liquidware even paid a developer to
port Octave onto it (free Matlab-alike) so that's also available (gratis
of course).

* Building anything directly with these highly integrated SOCs is not
something for the DIYer. They're BGAs with 100s of tightly spaced balls
and require advanced PCB and manufacturing processes. Most folks getting
their feet wet in this arena start with something like the Beagleboard,
or Gumstix Overo System-on-Module to bypass the tough assembly problems.

Eric