[sdiy] SMT caps got me worrying

Tim Ressel madhun2001 at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 18:53:23 CEST 2011

Dan,

Check the data sheet. The 1000h rating is at 85C and FULL rated voltage, and the
caps don't die; they drift +/- 20% on capacitance. Caps should always be derated
for voltage. I try to derate 50% on cap voltage. Another spec to watch is ripple
current. The higher the ripple current the more internal heating the cap will
see.

--TimR