[sdiy] Bob Pease killed in car crash

Barry Klein Barry.L.Klein at wdc.com
Mon Jun 20 19:28:55 CEST 2011

When Jim Williams died I felt we had lost a real treasure.  I had never met
him or had any discussions with him but I do have one or two books of his
and have printed out many of his datasheets.  I was always hoping to go to
the Foothill College swap meet and meet him sometime - even though that is
600 miles away.  I thought to myself about Bob immediately.  Like, the only
guru left.  I had never met Bob either.  Had a few email discussions with
him but they always seemed to leave me with a sense that we didn't mesh
well.  We both probably came off as too different from each other to hit it
off well.  (Maybe my fault not his)  I was always pissed a bit reading his
columns when instead of writing about analog stuff he was writing about
something completely unrelated.  There is so little written about analog
stuff that I don't think he understood how let down I felt when he didn't
stick to it....   Anyway, I had a weird feeling about Bob after Jim died -
like something was going to happen.  Now this, this is just too weird.  I
wonder if he had a position on wearing seat belts that he wrote about in a
column or this book?   A 62 bug was my first car.  Even with a seatbelt you
might not survive a tree collision at much speed.  A friend of mine back
then had one of those VW squarebacks (I don't remember what it is called)
and he wanted to destroy it.  (this is showing how weird I and my friends
were, and what we would do for kicks) We had made cannons out of Xerox
machine drive shafts that had nice threaded ends and machined out centers
that a bb gun C02 cartridge would just fit in.  He shot those at the car -
punching holes through it and shattering the windows.  (Benzoyl Peroxide as
the explosive propellant)  Then he drove the thing along back road driving
through warning signs and crap.  Then he intentionally drove it into a wall
- several times.  Even at 5-10mph it was a nasty experience.  Anything
higher and we would have gotten hurt.  He later set the thing on fire.
(yeah, he was a bit demented)

I start to talk to people here at work about these 2 guys and I find that
no-one knows either one.  A big company like this and very knowledgeable
engineers - but they don't know these guys.  Jeez, what planet am I on now?

Barry