[sdiy] Velocity Sensitive Pads

Ville Gustafsson villeg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 00:00:28 CEST 2011

Since I'm doing service on my Linn 9000's right now, I can testify:

Under each pad,the circuit board has two intertwined "venetian
blind-shaped" lanes coated with graphite. Each pad has a plate of
conductive rubbery graphite-ish material under it, and the harder you
press, the more of the coated circuit lanes are connected and the
lower the resistance.

The mpc's are different, at least the recent ones, their pads are only
rubber all the way through so the sensors must be layered film or
something.

I know the current mpc sensors are made by http://sensitronics.com/

I don't know what technique are used in the older mpcs' sensors.

In my opinion, despite being the oldest and most primitive, the Linn
9000 pads have the best feel, substantially better than all the Mpc's,
the older as well as the newer ones. This is a matter of opinion of
course.

/Ville