[sdiy] Fuse

Harry Bissell harrybissell at wowway.com
Thu Jun 16 14:20:35 CEST 2011

One reason toi use a slow-blow fuse is the case of a transformer input power supply. Inrush current to this type of load
(depending on where in the AC cycle the power is applied) can be 10x the current rating of the transformer. Toroid fand can
expect even HIGHER inrush currents.  A fast blow fuse will do a partial meltdown each time a really severe turn-on is encountered...
eventually failing. The higher thermal mass of the slow-blow fuse prevents it from reaching melting temperature in such a short time.

The best way to size a fuse (imho) is to watch the inrush current with a (fast) oscilloscope current probe (yeah I know few folk
have them) and then choose a fuse using the published rating curves... then TEST it extensively.

What's worse... the fuse that blows when it didn't need to (spoiling your party) or the one that doesn't blow when you need it to
(perhaps spoiling the party even more...)

H^) harry