[sdiy] Help from the brain trust: Keyboard ideas

David dingebre at 3dphysics.net
Tue Jun 14 08:48:10 CEST 2011

There are a lot of solutions to get a CV out of a modern keyboard and I have
a MIDI-2-CV converter and a .COM keyboard controller which directly outputs
a CV, gate, trigger, and velocity.

My dilemma is a bit different. I'm trying to finish my Synthasystem and the
last thing I want to finish is the duo-phonic keyboard Nyle designed. I need
a keybed which mimics an old Pratt-Read keybed.

I had three ideas:
1. Hack a Fatar keybed and hook into the switches.
2. Use some Doepfer electronics which eventually output a TTL level voltage
at each key press and use the voltage to operate a small solid state relay
connected to each key.
3. Hack a Fatar keybed and replace the switches with micro switches.

I know it is a bit odd to move backwards, but the duophonic electronics are
built around a resistor ladder and a bus type keybed and I'd love to put
this last piece of the puzzle in. I'd like a solution which doesn't require
trying to find an old bus keybed with all their problems. I'd rather use a
modern matrixed keybed.

I've hit a wall with this and would love some divergent thinking.

Thanks in advance.

David