[sdiy] SSM2164 Obsolescence Update

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Sat Jun 11 02:17:56 CEST 2011

On 10 Jun 2011, at 21:23, megaohm wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Tom Wiltshire <tom at electricdruid.net> wrote:
> I agree with Karl - I think we ought to expect better than the CA3280. This is the 21st century! Has there been no progress?!
>

> What would you guys improve about the 3280?
> Fill us in!
> Have you designed a VCA that performs better than one based on the 3280?
> Prove it!

No, course I haven't!
Am I a chip designer? No, of course not!

Does that mean I don't think that nothing has improved or could be improved since the CA3280 was designed? (Early seventies?) - No, absolutely not. I'm sure that in the same way that the SSM2164 is a big step up from chips that went before it (like the SSM2024) if there were sufficient pressure on designers, there would be similar improvements to be made with the CA3280, even if they were only improvements in the quality of process, without changing any of the actual design elements. Although I suspect there are also improvements to be made at the design level.

Proof? Look at the way that everything else has moved on. Why should analog be any different?

If it hasn't moved on, it's because all the development dollars have been spent on digital, not because analog has reached some point of perfection where no further improvement is possible.

Only my viewpoint, your mileage may vary, value of investments can go down as well as plummet, etc etc...

T.