[sdiy] Voltage References

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Thu Jun 9 05:52:02 CEST 2011

Quoth David G. Dixon at 09/06/11 13:14...
> If you're not too concerned with absolute precision, and your PSU is rock
> steady, then a buffered divider and an inverter are all you need.  Put a
> small-value trimmer in the middle of the divider for precision.
>
> If PSU drift or temperature compensation are concerns, then you should use a
> precision 10V voltage reference such as REF01 or REF102.  REF01 is cheaper
> and less precise than REF102, with a slightly higher tempco.  Both models
> can be trimmed externally.  Slap it through a precision (trimmed) opamp
> inverter and you've got precision +10 and -10V references with minimal parts
> count.

Thanks.  In this particular instance, the reference is required for the
+/- reference voltages of a DAC. Can't see any imprecision being an
issue, since it would just affect the amplitude of the signal out of the
oscillator.

Might need more precise references for other bits as I wade my way
through Mr Chamberlain's work :-)

Cheers

Matthew Smith

Business: http://www.smiffytech.com