[sdiy] PWM or DAC better for audio out?

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Thu Jun 2 20:22:11 CEST 2011

Chris Muir <cbm at well.com> wrote:

>On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:17 AM, Scott Gravenhorst wrote:
>
>> I still like DACs better, if there are sound output issues,
>it's difficult blame the output circuit > and there's no fiddly
>analog filter to mess with.
>
>You'd still need a reconstruction filter though, and unless you
>were oversampling way above audio rate, these can be fiddly, too.
>TANSTAAFL

Most of my designs are 200 KHz or more SR.  A few designs using a 12 bit DAC run at 1.0 MHz
SR.  Of the 24 bit DAC usage designs, one runs at 65 KHz most are 200 KHz.  No reconstruction
filter was used unless there is one planted inside the DAC chips.  The 24 bit DAC is a CS4344
and the 12 bit DAC is a LTC2624.  My output circuit is a inline 10 uF cap followed by 10K to
ground.

-- ScottG
-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- FPGA MIDI Synthesizer Information: home1.gte.net/res0658s/FPGA_synth/
-- FatMan: home1.gte.net/res0658s/fatman/
-- NonFatMan: home1.gte.net/res0658s/electronics/