[sdiy] PWM or DAC better for audio out?

Chris Muir cbm at well.com
Thu Jun 2 18:54:55 CEST 2011

On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:40 AM, Tom Wiltshire wrote:

> The problem usually (and the reason PWM seems to have the reputation it does, I guess) is that people are trying to get full range audio whilst running the PWM frequency at 40KHz (for example; almost any PWM phaser project). Whilst Nyquist might claim this is theoretically possible, practically it seems to make sense to have *a lot* more space between the bandwidth of interest and the PWM frequency.

My grasp of the math involved with generating an analog out from PWM out is tenuous at best, but does Nyquist even have much to say about sample rate vs. PWM rate?

– C

Chris Muir                    | "There are many futures and only one status quo.
cbm at well.com             |  This is why conservatives mostly agree,
http://www.xfade.com |  and radicals always argue." - Brian Eno