[sdiy] OB-SX auto tune problem

Matti Kari maza at maza.fi
Fri Sep 24 17:32:45 CEST 2010

Hi,

I recently acquired an Oberheim OB-SX for a good price. It is the last
model built with 56 presets and in perfect condition externally &
internally, except that the autotune sometimes (say: usually) fails on
some voices, except that voices #1 and #2 never fail and the voice #6 is
the most unreliable.

I have already verified that the problem is not on the voice cards
themselves by swapping them around - no change. Also I've changed the
4051 and TL082 chips that generate the (I assume) tuning voltages for
the oscs - no change.

What is interesting and may have something to do with the problem is
that now that I calibrated all the voice cards (auto tune switched off,
of course), the auto tune tunes them almost exactly a whole step higher
(i.e. playing a C key plays D), and I need to compensate this using the
master tune pot.

Any ideas? I've already calibrated the synth according to the service
manual and all the voltages are what they should.

Thanks in advance,

masa

--
Matti Kari